Sika is considered to be the industry leader on a worldwide basis in concrete repair and protection. Many years of research and development plus decades of practical experience has enabled Sika to provide systems to restore and rehabilitate concrete structures that have deteriorated due to corrosion, structural damage, water infiltration, freeze/thaw, seismic activity, reactive aggregates, and others.
Key Cause of Concrete Failure
Repair and renovation of concrete buildings and infrastructure is an important process – it helps us to provide a sustainable approach to building – prolonging the life of a structure and preventing demolition and reconstruction. The choice of the appropriate rehabilitation strategy, based on the root cause of concrete failure, can also significantly improve the overall performance of a structure. Sika has a wide portfolio of products and systems to solve many concrete repair needs.
Deterioration of concrete is largely due to:
- Chemical degradation, e.g. chemical exposure, alkali-aggregate reactions, bacterial action
- Corrosion of the reinforcement steel, e.g. carbonation, chlorides, stray electrical current
- Mechanical attack, e.g. impact, overloading, movement, earthquake, explosion
- Physical damage, e.g. freeze/thaw action, thermal movements, shrinkage, abrasion, wear
- Underlying contributors, e.g. poor construction, design faults, lack of maintenance
Reasons for concrete repair:
- Replace defective concrete
- Restore structural integrity
- Restore aesthetic appearance
- Restore geometric appearance
- Restore durability